Have you ever had days when Pre Menstrual Syndrome, or PMS, pain and cramps have left you feeling down? Do you find yourself unable to get through the day with the same enthusiasm and energy because of the onset of your period? You are not alone.
What is PMS (Pre Menstrual Syndrome) in Females?
PMS refers to the physical and emotional symptoms that indicate that your period is about to begin. These symptoms normally disappear when the bleeding starts.
PMS Symptoms - Catching it Early
It is believed that hormonal changes cause PMS, the symptoms of which appear 5-10 days before the period. If you suffer from severe effects though, they can indicate a bigger issue, so keep a close watch.
The Most common symptoms of PMS include:
- Tender breasts
- PMS bloating
- Aches and pains
- Food cravings
- Irritability and mood swings
Treatment for Pre Menstrual Syndrome
The symptoms of PMS are so common, that, often, you do not need to go to a doctor. If you need to rest during this time, do so. But if you find that it severely hampers your daily routine, then it’s a problem.
Each symptom can be treated individually, and treatment options include:
- Calcium – Regular intake of calcium carbonate has been found to significantly reduce PMS mood swings, food cravings, and PMS cramps. So increase your intake of dairy products, and veggies like kale and broccoli.
- Diet - A wholesome diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, while cutting down on salt and increasing fluids, helps prevent PMS bloating. Even though those coveted coffee breaks and sweet treats are important to get you through a stressful day, caffeine and sugar are best avoided if you want relief from the pain.
- Pain relievers – Remedies like paracetamol or aspirin can help with mild PMS cramps and pain. If that doesn’t help, consult a doctor for stronger mediations.
- Destress - Stress can make PMS symptoms worse, so try to relax by doing yoga, or meditating. Even exercise helps in relieving PMS cramps, if you are able.
Although PMS lasts for only about 5 days in the month, regular use of panty liners can help ease discomfort and keep you feeling fresh and clean all year round. Keep your pack of Carefree panty liners with your delicates so you can stay fresh every day.
Note: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice.